Distribution and HASS Credit
About Distribution Credit
Information on distribution credit for Arts and Sciences undergraduates: Some ExCollege courses have already been submitted to the Academic Review Board (ARB) for possible credit toward distribution requirements. Check with the ExCollege first before petitioning the ARB for credit. Keep in mind these policies:
- Only one ExCollege course may be used toward the foundation or distribution requirements.
- Only letter-graded courses may be considered for these requirements.
- Not every ExCollege course meets the criteria for a distribution area.
- Students need 120 SHUs to graduate, which involves taking electives in addition to foundation, distribution and major requirements.
If the ExCollege and the instructor supports the credit, you may petition to have a course count for everyone in the class, or just for yourself as a one-time approval. Please follow the instructions regarding the petition process.
About School of Engineering HASS Credit
Information on HASS credit for Engineering undergraduates: For the Spring 2020 semester, the SoE faculty has authorized a pilot to pre-approve two ExCollege courses for HASS credit:
- EXP-0009-S The Morals of the Story: Literature and Ethical Identity – approved for HASS and HASS-Humanities attributes
- EXP-0013-S Famous Trials in U.S. History – approved for HASS and HASS-Social Science attributes
Aside from these courses, the current policy is that School of Engineering undergraduates may count an Experimental College course as a HASS elective if it has been approved for LA humanities, arts or social sciences distribution credit. More information >